If you participated in or watched the focus of our energy in the “Next Salvage Bootcamp of 2015”, then you got to see the fun we had taking down the beautiful beaded wood ceilings, walls, and house in 5 days. A few of the people who took down the house also were able to stay and help on the transformation of the pieces into a new house interior, from beaded wood walls, baseboards, and thus see the full cycle of Grave to Cradle. The house would have possibly been burned to the ground to stop the outflow of property taxes for a house that would never be lived in again. Instead of going to the landfill, being burned, or knocked down and piled to let go to rot… the parts will become new houses that will last for a lifetime or more. Here is a quick review and then lots of shots of the progress on this giant Tiny Texas House.
You can see how fast the beaded wood goes up as the tongues and grooves were in such good condition. While one may not be able to imagine the finished product once sanded and oiled, it will be beautiful, I believe. See it all going in and now the size of this tiny house will seem bigger and bigger for the lines this adds to our view. This house we are building is 12′ x 26′ with a giant loft that will provide over 550 usable square feet of living area, plus porches. When complete it could be used as a two bedroom one bath house with kitchen, dining area, living area below and above, thus feeling anything but tiny inside.
Thus we have saved the trees, the energy to make the glass, hardware, and likely the shower metal tile walls, bathroom sink, and more.
The energy and resources saved before we finish will be equal or less than what the house will need to heat and cool it for a hundred years.
Thus it is the most energy efficient way possible to get the materials for a house for it only takes about 20 gallons of gas and diesel worth of energy to not only get 95% of the materials to build it, that is including the transport from the job site to the building site called Manifestation Bay at the Tiny Texas Houses headquarters. The buildout actually consumes far less than the 20 gallons of fuel for putting together 95% of the house if done with a generator for it is only the saws and nail gun compressor that need more than human energy. The remaining 5% of the materials are newly manufactured, such as the nails, screws, wiring, plumbing lines, and under layments for roof and walls so there is some energy cost to the planet and new resources used but they likely consumed more energy to harvest raw materials, then the creation, transport, marketing, sale costs in a big box store, and transport to where we build. Likewise the insulation we use, Icynene is also newly created so there is a new energy cost there too, but I could not find a way to create the quality energy efficiency I wanted without those few new items and at least kept them American made.
While it may be possible to create portable sustainable and healthy houses using other methods, I contend that this methodology is the best example of Reuse without major reprocessing or energy costs up front, in fact banking energy savings more than any other building method on the planet at the moment due to the nearly 0 cost to create the many parts and pieces it takes to create a Tiny Texas House.
That said, here are some more pictures of the house we call the Retreat which is the beneficiary of the beaded wood from the 1890’s Victorian Ranch house in Harwood Texas. This new house will be available for someone interested in a great family sized Tiny Texas House but will not be easily transportable out of state due to its size. Cost will range from $85,000 – $100,000 depending on how it gets finished out. If you have questions and are interested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.